News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

**AAR NRA Whittington Center Sept. 17-18, 2011

Started by TaosGlock, September 25, 2011, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

Lady Liberty is once again proud of The Appleseed Project's honoring of our founders. These were truly days "where marksmanship met history and the heritage began."
John Adams said: "Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."

I'm positive John Adams is pleased with all our nationwide efforts to remember and honor.

For New Mexico, this was our states 4th Appleseed season on the Coors Range at the NRA's prestigious Whittington Center. 

Since September 2008, we have been doing regular shoots here and  The Appleseed Project is now part of the regular NRA WC curriculum. How impressive is that? We will have 6 shoots next year in 2012.
A huge thanks goes out to all the NRAWC staff. They have reserved for us the use of the private Coors Range.

And of course a huge thanks to the shooters who made it all possible. All of them stepped out of their comfort zone and came to learn the Rifleman's skills as well as the story of April 19th, 1775.

BlueFeather awaits the shooters at the admin table in the most beautiful office in the world.

Before the AM Redcoat is shot, sarducci convinces this doe Anteolpe that hanging around the firing line will not serve her well.

NMMI9100 (David) teaches the use of a sling. It is more than a carry device and an absolute necessity for a Rifleman.

BlueFeather with her 6 Steps to Firing the Shot sight alignment for scopes overlay tool.
Yes, scopes are a modern necessity and especially for aging eyes etc.

Once shooters are shooting 4 MOA, the "Rifleman's Standard", BlueFeather introduces Inches, Minutes and Clicks.
Shooters convert inches into minutes of angle. Then make the necessary adjustment to their sighting systems to get their groups centered. Later during the KD portion, when we explain trajectory and sight come ups, IMC will provide the foundation.

Flags of our Founders. Hear the story behind each one at an Appleseed

more later....
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

TaosGlock

Don't tread on us!
NMMI captures and then gently places a wandering snake behind the firing line.

Shooters and instructors on the line:

sarducci and the shooters:

Strong winds buffeted day 1:

Nate in standing, with Rufus next to him.

Ball and Dummy drills are used to detect and cure shooting problems. We tell shooters "learn today and teach tomorrow."
But their tomorrow was today!  Shooters often produce their tightest groups under the constant eye of their "coach".

Here a father daughter pair (Chris and Rebekka) work together as Bluefeather watches on.

Shooters conduct reviews of material learned. Great job guys!
Carl and Rufus do sitting. Yes Rufus shot a superb stage 2!

Caleb and Nate do slings and prone.

NMMI (David) explains the penultimate rifleman test, The Army Qualifying Test know as simply the AQT:

more later...
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

Jerry Hall

The NRA- WC looks too beautiful to pass up!!!

I will be joining you all there at least once next year.

Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

TaosGlock

After April 19th 1775, Lord Percy wrote in his diary: "Whosoever looks upon the colonists as an irregular mob will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very
well what they are about." Below are men who know what they are all about!
Our new RIFLEMEN! Congrats!

Caleb on Saturday:

Nate on Sunday:

Rufus on Sunday:

Riflemen and Instructors shown with Rebekka who did not miss a beat all weekend.
She got a Patriot's Patch.
L-R: Caleb, Nate, BlueFeather and Kodi, Rufus, Rebekka, TG and sarducci.

more to come...

nmmi9100

Great pics and great shoot!  I was very pleased with the quality of shooters that made it to this NRAWC Appleseed.  Very attentive to both the heritage and marksmanship portions of the program.

Sure enjoyed watching several of ya'll whack steel out to 580 yards, in the wind, on the first shot!  After Becka (a 13 year old Dangerous Young Woman) connected on all three distance targets...200, 300, and 580, everyone had to try their best and "SHOOT LIKE A GIRL"!

Thanks, Dan D. for the use of your Swarovski spotter.  Awesome glass sure makes seeing the mirage easy!

We look forward to seeing all of you further down the Appleseed trail!

-David
Edgewood, NM

TaosGlock

A Rifleman should be able to pick up any rifle, fire a shot, if necessary make a sight correction,
fire another shot and hit the target.
Students did this at 200, 300 and 580 yards on the known distance day.
To get everyone into long distance shooting to the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile",
David (NMMI) loaned his tricked out 5R with Nightforce. Students made hits at 200, 300 and then 580 yards.
Each student was required to do the come ups in MOA from a zero stop scope.
The importance of a range card was stressed and wind calls were made.
Thanks to David (NMMI) for the use of his 5R/can!
Congrats to all you guys again for making one shot hits beyond "The Rifleman's Quarter Mile" (500 Yards)!

Below, Rufus dials in the required range data for 300-580Yards.

As does Caleb.

And 13 year old Rebekka:

And her Dad Chris:

And Nancy too...

For extra credit after school David had his 5R and Armalite in 338 Lapua.

For use at the 900M target here( see arrow). Yup it's small!

Dan D, a return shooter from our RBC last May helps David re-set and paint that 900M target. It is about 27"x18".
Do you know how many minutes that is?

The Coors Range firing line is near the red building. The 900M target is actually located in a small avalanche gully.

more to come...

WindRider

So let's all make a note of the link to this AAR, and next time you hear "what's the point of shooting at 25 meters" you can ask them to find the little bitty target 900 yards away in the woods.

nmmi9100

If you've never shot a NRAWC Appleseed, I'd strongly suggest it.  NRAWC gives us a great facility and Dan & Gill have it setup very nice.  Steel targets to 910 yards.  Capability to shoot Full Distance AQTs.  Indoor classroom.  Flushing toilets and warm water.  And more wildlife running around than you can chase off with a Suburban!

I'm looking foward to February.  Gonna be one heck of a Winterseed!

3 day RBC also coming up in May.  Plenty of room to stretch your rifle's legs.

-David
Edgewood, NM

nmmi9100

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

TaosGlock

By the end of April 19th, 1775 our superior marksmanship had driven the British Regulars into a running retreat from Concord back to Boston.
As the sun was setting at the end of that long day, they were just limping  into Boston. The sun was also setting on the ruins of the British Empire in America.

The sun also set on the last shoot Appleseed at the NRA's Whittington Center.

This great group of New Mexico shooters demonstrated the Appleseed Mission of returning America to a nation of Riflemen.
We are an American heritage program with an outstanding rifle marksmanship program.

The Founders are counting on us to educate our posterity.

We talked of sacrifices that everyday folks like us took to give us our freedoms.
And of those brave souls who on April 19th stepped thru the threshold into the unknown to face the worlds greatest army.
And who then, finally overcame adversity despite a hopeless outlook.
That is the spirit of a Rifleman and the source of our "adapt, persist and overcome" motto.
Today a rifleman is not just a person with a rifle but someone who understands the serious issues facing our country
and that ignorance, laziness and apathy are the true enemies.
Appleseed: restoring America's heritage by getting people to take responsibility for our Nation....The Appleseed 7th Step, pass it on. 

We are constantly amazed at the generosity of our people, the diversity of our culture and the gorgeous scenery.
New Mexico truly is: The Land of Enchantement.
It was an honor to work with everyone! Thanks!

We will be back next year with even more shoots scheduled from February (A Winterseed), thru May (a 3 day Known Distance Condensed Rifleman's Boot Camp) thru September.

CSHR

BF, TG, NMM19100, Sarducci, et al,

Another great shoot. Looks like it was fun. The ability to shoot at distance makes all the training come to life....you'll see how small 4moa at 500 yards is, and that you can hit it by using AS instructions. David, isn't it unfair to shoot that square with the 338??

IF you've never been to the site you should at least look it up on line and check it out:  http://www.nrawc.org/index.html

I'll have to see if I can get time off for Feb/winterseed...fly into ABQ can I catch a ride??? gets so bad out here they shut it down till April.

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

POP

Definitely one I want to schedule in for next year.
Great Pics.   ...  Especially the one of Aurora "New Mexicalis."
Beautiful Range.
So, when do you start back up at NRA WC?
POP

Quote from: TaosGlock on October 03, 2011, 01:13:12 AM
By the end of April 19th, 1775 our superior marksmanship had driven the British Regulars into a running retreat from Concord back to Boston.
As the sun was setting at the end of that long day, they were just limping  into Boston. The sun was also setting on the ruins of the British Empire in America.

The sun also set on the last shoot Appleseed at the NRA's Whittington Center.

This great group of New Mexico shooters demonstrated the Appleseed Mission of returning America to a nation of Riflemen.
We are an American heritage program with an outstanding rifle marksmanship program.

The Founders are counting on us to educate our posterity.

We talked of sacrifices that everyday folks like us took to give us our freedoms.
And of those brave souls who on April 19th stepped thru the threshold into the unknown to face the worlds greatest army.
And who then, finally overcame adversity despite a hopeless outlook.
That is the spirit of a Rifleman and the source of our "adapt, persist and overcome" motto.
Today a rifleman is not just a person with a rifle but someone who understands the serious issues facing our country
and that ignorance, laziness and apathy are the true enemies.
Appleseed: restoring America's heritage by getting people to take responsibility for our Nation....The Appleseed 7th Step, pass it on. 

We are constantly amazed at the generosity of our people, the diversity of our culture and the gorgeous scenery.
New Mexico truly is: The Land of Enchantement.
It was an honor to work with everyone! Thanks!

We will be back next year with even more shoots scheduled from February (A Winterseed), thru May (a 3 day Known Distance Condensed Rifleman's Boot Camp) thru September.
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

TaosGlock

Next one at the NRA WC is Feb. 18-19, 2012 and will be a Winterseed.... or at least a NM version. ;)

POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)